About six weeks ago, I signed up for ClassPass and finally wanted to review it! ClassPass is a subscription service that lets you take classes at multiple gyms for a fixed fee. In short, I like to think of it as Netflix for gym classes.
During my six weeks of using ClassPass, I went to three boxing classes, three barre classes and one Barry’s bootcamp class. I really loved using ClassPass – not only did I end up taking more classes than I thought I would, a ClassPass membership allowed me to explore LA and the gyms within it in a way I never would have before using ClassPass.
However, there are a few caveats to a ClassPass Membership:
- You are fined if you sign up for a class and don’t show up.
- Similarly, you’re fined even if you are late!
- You’re only allowed a certain number of classes per studio. For instance, you can’t just take 15 classes at Barry’s Bootcamp and call it a month.
- Some classes aren’t available through ClassPass. You can’t, for example, go to SoulCycle with a ClassPass Membership.
- Finally, ClassPass is really expensive! ClassPass is $115 per month for 10 classes, and $60 per month for 5 classes in Los Angeles. They also offer an unlimited tier, which allows you to take unlimited classes for $175 per month.
Ultimately, I think I’ll extend my ClassPass membership one more month and then let it lapse. While I really enjoy the service, I’m just not sure it’s cost effective. I can almost pay for a membership to Equinox at the 10 class per month rate, and at that point, shouldn’t I just do that? There are no cancellation fees, and I can go as often as a I want (plus free Kiehl’s products)!
Have you tried CP? If so, what did you think?